I would like to join a gym. I would. I’m sure I could find an inexpensive membership. And perhaps I could find someone to watch my kids (unless I found a gym with childcare). Then there’s the whole question of would I really go, anyways…
Then I thought about an average day in my life and realized that I already have a great workout regimen. The Mommy workout. Observe:
- abs – bending over to pick up the toys strewn over the floor
- cardio – chasing one very active toddler
- legs – squats to pick up the baby from his baby gym or bouncer, or to repeatedly return pacifier to said baby’s mouth
- weight training – carrying either a 15- or 25- pound child, and sometimes both at once, sometimes including the weight of a carseat
- upper arms – diaper changing (holding down legs with one hand while wiping the tush with the other). Mopping up sticky juice spills
- endurance training – pushing a stroller uphill with the baby strapped to my chest.
Who need the gym?